Officers Subject to Recall:
- Municipal commissioners and mayors.
Key Steps in the Recall Process:
- No restrictions on when a recall petition may be commenced.
- No specific grounds are required.
- No time limit for gathering signatures.
- Signature requirement is number equal to 3% of the inhabitants of the municipality according to the last federal census who are qualified to vote for a successor (§11-44-130). Signature requirement is number equal to 30% of those who voted in the last election (§11-44E-168).
Read the code at Ala. Code §11-44-130 — 11-44-134.
No current cases.
News & Commentary
Alabama Representative Wants Bill to Allow Recall | 04/01/16
MARSHALL COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -- Representative Will Ainsworth continues his research to complete a bill allowing for a recall election but he also feels other options are on the table.
If Will Ainsworth has his way a recall election bill will become a reality in Alabama but that won't happen overnight.
Ainsworth feels other options are still possible for embattled Governor Robert Bentley.
He feels the first is for the governor to resign and the second is articles of impeachment proposed by Representative Ed Henry.
Ainsworth says a recall election bill would give the citizens an option if a politician doesn't fulfill their obligations.
Viewpoint: Proposed Alabama Recall Law Would Not Be Misused | 04/01/12
With the Alabama Senate considering a recall law for all
officials throughout the state, voters could look north to the recall fights in
Wisconsin and express some concern whether the state would become a brutal,
political, three-ring circus. However, because of the way the potential Alabama
law is structured, the likelihood of misuse is small.
Click here for full article.